Water is a beautiful blessing; it is a key ingredient to life and stunning to look at, either in liquid or frozen form. Every year, as the temperature starts to dip down and the clouds creep to cover the sun, a number of lakes, ponds, and oceans freeze for the winter months. When water freezes it becomes beautiful in a whole new way.
The formation of frozen water causes unique patterns, bubbles, jagged lines, and snowflakes to become encased in the ice, suspended beneath the surface, like a decorative piece of artwork. Frozen bodies of water also take on uniquely bright shades of blue, green, and white. Check out this list of beautiful frozen lakes, oceans, and ponds!
2. Bright Blue Pond In Japan
3. Bubbles Trapped Beneath The Ice On Abraham Lake, Canada
These bubbles sure look gorgeous, but they are actually explosive! The bubbles form due to methane gas trapped beneath the ice. When spring arrives and the ice begins to melt, the bubbles will pop and release the methane gas into the atmosphere.
4. Lake Druzhby In Antarctica
Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and seawater freezes at around 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit due to salinity. Interestingly, frozen salt water doesn’t contain much salt because only the water freezes.
5. Ice Rider In Siberia, Russia
This lucky, and brave, equestrian travels across this beautifully frozen water.
Thinking about walking, or riding, on ice? Ice appears glorious, but it can quickly turn deadly without the proper precautions.
6. Frost Flowers Float Across The Arctic Ocean
Many people often wonder if the ocean can freeze over. At any given time of the year, at least 15% of the ocean is covered by sea ice.
7. Mesmerizing Patterns In A Frozen Pond
Located in Siberia, Lake Baikal is the largest freshwater lake in the entire world, and accounts for around 20% of the world’s unfrozen fresh water. It measures 5,387 feet in depth, marking it as the deepest and clearest lake in the world. And at 25-million-years-old, Lake Baikal is also believed to be the oldest.
Not only is the ice here incredible, but so too are the animals! 1/3 of all animals that call the area home can’t be found anywhere else in the world.
9. Northern Baikal, Russia
10. Lake Michigan, Located In Chicago, USA
11. Cracks Form Along The Sea Ice Of Mcmurdo Sound, The Ross Sea, Antarctica
12. Lake Erie In Marblehead, Ohio
13. Green Frozen Pond Located In Hokkaido, Japan
This lake is known to change colors with each passing day, making it one of the most beautifully varied locations in the world. #2 on this list shows the same pond in a brighter shade of blue.
14. Frozen Pond In Switzerland
This frozen lake resembles broken shards of glass, placed in a perfect blue pattern.
15. Geometric Frozen Pond In Southern Oregon, USA
16. Lake McDonald In Montana, USA (left) Abraham Lake In Canada (right)
17. Frozen Lake Kryspinow, Near kracow, Poland
18. Lake Monona, Madison, Wisconsin
Which is your favorite frozen body of water?!
Source: Earth Porn